Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Be Little

Today, we celebrated my niece's birthday at a place that has a bunch of bounce houses and a huge play area.  I had been telling Nolan since Thursday that we were going to go play with balls and jump, just trying to build his excitement.  Upon arrival today (only 15 minutes late, amazingly), we walked into the place and Nolan's eyes lit up.  I, on the other hand, continued to repeat "walk buddy, Mommy needs you to walk", as I pushed a stroller through a crowd of kids and Moms. 

It's moments like that when I wish I could get a grip on the fact that life isn't about rushing or pushing forward as I had today.  Really, who would have cared if I would've stopped for a moment to bend down to ask my two year old what his thoughts were about the place?  Sure, the stroller would have been in the way of a group of kids, but they are kids.... so really, do they care?

Sadly, I admit that I am your classic type A personality.  Everything has to be rushed, I am very impatient, and unfortunately though I know this I don't control it.  I have however, become more aware of it since having children.  Almost daily, I remind myself multiple times to step back and take a breath.  I have to pull back and remember that my children are only two years old and thirteen weeks; and though the two year old appears to be a giant now that our little one is here, he is still only two. 

Today was one of those days where the reminder was necessary on multiple occasions.  As I sat talking with my Mom and sister, my brother took my son to run and play.  My son loves his Uncle, so going off with him didn't bother me in the least.  However, I was concerned about Nolan's safety in the bounce houses and the mazes.  There I sat looking across the play area trying to make sure he was okay. I was holding back my screams of "Watch, be careful, please don't do that because you will hurt yourself".  After walking over to him, I realized I was being watched.  All of the other parents were standing there too.  None of them looked as concerned as I did, though I am sure some were.  I took a deep breath and I said nothing, yelled nothing, and I stood in silence watching.  What I did next was wonerful....

I simply allowed him to be little and have fun.




  

 




No comments:

Post a Comment